Despite the rising demand for mobile apps, websites and web apps have an undeniable significance to businesses. Technologies such as Android Instant Apps, Progressive Web Apps, Accelerated Mobile Pages, Single Page Applications are changing the face of modern web.
While this is making web an advanced space for the users, it complicates the development cycle for application engineers. This is where app development frameworks help.
Laravel and Django are two popular frameworks for web application development and thus making a choice between them can be tough job. Laravel vs Django- here is a comparison between the two on the basis of features, marketshare, category of applications supported, and geographical expansion.
Django is an open-source server-side web application framework, written in Python. Known for building complex data-driven websites and web apps, the framework has templates, libraries, and APIs designed to work together for natural growth and connectivity. Therefore apps that are built with Django can be grown with minimal upgradation cost, modifications, and additions.
Reasons to choose Django for web application development:
- Scalability: Django can be used for project of any scale. For the scalability factor, it is a competent choice for startups and well as established businesses receiving hundreds of visitors per second.
- Python Language: Django uses Python, which is the most loved programming language- as per Stack Overflow Survey 2018. Such popularity of programming language means it is easy to find a community that can answer queries about Python and Django.
- Toolkit: A programming framework is a toolkit of components needed to create a web or mobile application. The framework has got a number of app plugins that helps in extending functionality of apps.
- D.R.Y. Approach: Django follows the D.R.Y.- Don’t Repeat Yourself principle. The DRY principle is all about keeping code simple and non-repeating. This allows developers to reuse code they write for one project in another project. It also allows developers to use code from one view in another view of the same project.
- Platform Support: Django/Python runs on every platform- Mac, PC or Linux. The layer between the developer and database in the framework, called ORM (Object Relational Mapper) makes it possible to move a project between major databases, just by changing a line of code.
- Cloud Support: DJango is supported by cloud providers and thus the apps build on this framework can be easily deployed on cloud.
Laravel is a PHP-based web framework which is fundamentally based on the MVC architecture. The framework was created to make it easier for developers to handle PHP projects. By far, Laravel is the most popular PHP framework accepted by developers.
Reasons to Choose Django for web application development:
- Object-Oriented Libraries: Laravel has pre-installed, object-oriented libraries that differentiates Laravel from rest of the PHP frameworks out there.
- PHP Language: PHP is one of the widely adopted server-side scripting language and Laravel is written in PHP. Therefore, developers with core PHP skills can get started with Laravel.
- MVC Pattern: Laravel follows MVC (Model-View-Controller) pattern and therefore, it comes with a number of built-in functions and offers an enhanced development architecture.
- Database Seeding: Database Seeding is an automated process, wherein, an initial set of data is provided to a database, when it is installed. Laravel supports DB Seeding.
- Blade Template Engine: Blade is the simple, yet powerful templating engine provided with Laravel. Unlike other popular PHP templating engines, Blade does not restrict you from using plain PHP code in your views.
- Artisan: Laravel comes built-in with a command-line interface called Artisan. It offers a number of helpful commands that can simplify application development cycle.
Laravel vs Django: Market Share Comparison
According to Similar Tech, Laravel is leading in top 100K sites, top 1M sites and the entire web. Django on the other hand is leading in top 10K sites.
Laravel vs Django: Website Category Comparison
- Laravel has better usage coverage in variety of website categories, including Business & Industry, Arts & Entertainment, Shopping, Internet & Telecom and 120 other categories.
- Django is leading in Career & Education, Travel, Real Estate, Education and 96 other categories.